Thursday, April 23, 2015

Introduction

Greetings, and thanks for stopping by.

I haven't a solid "mission statement" in mind for this as yet, but I intend, at this time, to bring readers some stories about adventures on folding bicycles.  It might include some bits relating to their acquisition, their restoration, their maintenance, and of course their enjoyment. I may include a bit of fiction here and there also, just for what I hope might be entertainment value.

I suspect that a portable transport device has been a universal desire throughout history, and there have been a great many solutions offered, ranging from snowshoes and skis to inflatable airplanes, but I believe that the most useful and elegant of them all is the folding bicycle.  For starters, it is pretty much universally acknowledged that the bicycle is the most efficient means of transport yet developed, and combining that with the ability to quickly fold it into a small package when not in use is true genius.

When others become enchanted with such an idea it is no surprise that it is copied and various versions can now be found.

At the present time I have four in my collection which was once somewhat larger. I have a Raleigh from England, which might actually be considered a take apart cycle rather than a folder.  From Italy I have an Amica.  From the former Yugoslavia I have a Rog Pony, which like the others already mentioned has twenty inch wheels. Lastly, for now, I have a Dahon Classic 3 which has sixteen inch wheels. Each is a true joy to ride, and in future posts I hope to share their stories with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment